We are excited to announce our second-annual 1L Life Sciences Summit. This program brings together law students with interest and/or experience in the life sciences. Home to one of the largest life sciences practices in the U.S., Wilson Sonsini is the premier provider of legal services to thousands of innovation-focused life sciences enterprises worldwide. We represent life sciences companies through the entire business life cycle, from formation through IPO and strategic partnerships.
In 2024, the firm will host both East Coast and West Coast 1L Life Sciences Summit events:
- The East Coast event will take place on Friday, March 22, 2024, in our Boston, Massachusetts, office.
- The West Coast event will be held on Friday, April 12, 2024, in our San Francisco, California, office.
Applicants who are selected for this program will be invited to attend the event on the coast that is geographically closest to where they reside.
The Summit introduces 1L students to the firm’s diversity of life sciences practice areas to help students explore how they can leverage their life sciences backgrounds and interests in their future legal careers. During the Summit, you will have the opportunity to:
- Meet attorneys from our Antitrust Life Sciences, Corporate Life Sciences, Patent Litigation, Patents and Innovations, and Technology Transactions practices
- Hear from our clients and lawyers about their different career paths in the industry
- Take an in-depth look at what is entailed in each of these life sciences practice areas
- Practice the art of networking with attorneys and students who share an affinity for the life sciences
The Summit is only the beginning of our relationship with you. As a Summit Scholar, you also will be matched with an attorney mentor and invited to virtual professional development trainings including a professional marketing training, networking tutorial, resume writing workshop, and mock interview program.
As part of your application, you will be asked to indicate which of our offices and life sciences practice areas you are most interested in learning about. These initial interest selections will assist us in tailoring our programming; however, we understand that your interests may change as you explore various practice areas at the Summit.
Applications are open now; they close Friday, February 2, 2024, at 5:00 p.m. PT/8:00 p.m. ET. Applications are reviewed after the deadline—there is no need to rush to apply.
What We Mean by “Life Sciences”
Life sciences is a broad category which encompasses a variety of disciplines. Examples of life sciences fields include, but are not limited to, biological sciences, chemistry, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and healthcare. If you’re interested in the intersection of those fields with law, this summit is for you!
First-year law students enrolled at ABA-accredited law schools are eligible to apply. Pre-law students with life sciences backgrounds who have been admitted to ABA-accredited law schools will also be considered.
To apply, please complete the 1L Life Sciences Summit Online Application, complete an assessment using Suited, and upload the required documents noted below.
- Your resume.
- Your undergraduate, graduate (if applicable), and first semester/quarter law school transcript as soon as it becomes available. You will receive instructions on how to submit your law school transcript through a separate link. Pre-law candidates do not need to submit a law school transcript.
- December 21, 2023 – Applications open
- February 2, 2024 – Applications close
- February 19 – February 23, 2024 – Applicants notified and travel arrangements made
- March 22, 2024 – Wilson Sonsini East Coast 1L Life Sciences Summit in Boston, Massachusetts
- April 12, 2024 – Wilson Sonsini West Coast 1L Life Sciences Summit in San Francisco, California
Travel and Costs:
Travel and reasonable related expenses for the students selected to attend will be covered by Wilson Sonsini in accordance with our travel policies. This includes transportation, lodging for up to two nights (if not local to the area), and meal costs for the students selected to attend.
If you have any questions about this program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.