Wilson Sonsini is the premier legal advisor to technology, life sciences, and other growth enterprises worldwide. We represent companies at every stage of development, from entrepreneurial start-ups to multibillion-dollar global corporations, as well as the venture firms, private equity firms, and investment banks that finance and advise them. The firm has approximately 1,200 attorneys in 19 offices: 14 in the U.S., three in China, and two in Europe. Our broad spectrum of practices and entrepreneurial spirit allow our staff exceptional opportunities for professional achievement and career growth.
The firm’s Patent and Innovations Group has an immediate opening for a US Patent Paralegal. This position is responsible for assigned tasks and works under the direction and guidance of attorneys, patent agents, IP specialists, and the department leadership team.
- Prepare and file information disclosure statements
- Prepare Section 18 listing for Israel
- Review file history for accuracy in anticipation of payment issue fee
- Update and maintain IDS reference database
- Calculate patent term adjustments pre- and post-issuance
- Calculate Expiration dates
- Conduct searches, extract data from searches, and organize data from searches with minimal direction
- Manage IDS related projects and tasks
- Maintain electronic files
- Prepare budgets and cost estimates for clients
- Prepare patent family trees
- Prepare due diligence charts and track documents
- Prepare status reports
- Handle complex filings for attorneys and staff and provide reliable suggestions and feedback
- Recommend enhancements to existing processes and procedures
- Assist team leads with developing and maintaining department procedural and training documentation, form letters and templates, checklists, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or paralegal certificate is preferred
- 5+ years of prior experience in U.S. and foreign patent prosecution, with thorough knowledge of all stages of patent prosecution, including rules, deadlines, and procedures
- Proficiency with U.S. and foreign patent office websites and the ability to research and locate data
- Knowledge regarding a calendaring system is required and knowledge of Computer Packages Inc.’s (CPI) calendaring system is a plus
- Strong knowledge of Maxval (IDS Module) is also a plus
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft products, database management systems, and electronic files
- Strong desire to learn new tasks and technologies
- Strong familiarity with CFR, MPEP and other patent-related laws and regulations, and engage in research when required
- Knowledge regarding aspects of patent prosecution and the United States Patent and Trademark Office’s Patent Application Information Retrieval (PAIR) System, World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), European Patent Office (EPO), Orbit, foreign PTO sites, Electronic Filing System (EFS), and Patent Center databases
- Highly detail-oriented, efficient, flexible, results-oriented, and a self-starter
- Excellent communication skills, strong computer skills, and strong organizational skills are required
- Candidates must also possess the ability to prioritize and work in a fast-paced team environment
- Familiarity with NetDocs is a plus
The primary location for this job posting is in Virtual (California). The actual base pay offered will depend upon a variety of factors, including but not limited to the selected candidate’s qualifications, years of relevant experience, level of education, professional certifications and licenses, and work location. The anticipated pay range for this position is as follows: $38.66 – $52.31 per hour.
The compensation for this position may include overtime and a discretionary year-end merit bonus based on performance. We offer a highly competitive salary and benefits package.
Benefits information can be found here. Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).Apply Now