Wilson Sonsini is the premier legal advisor to technology, life sciences, and other growth enterprises worldwide. We represent companies at every stage of development, from entrepreneurial start-ups to multibillion-dollar global corporations, as well as the venture firms, private equity firms, and investment banks that finance and advise them. The firm has approximately 1,200 attorneys in 19 offices: 14 in the U.S., three in China, and two in Europe. Our broad spectrum of practices and entrepreneurial spirit allow our staff exceptional opportunities for professional achievement and career growth.
The Competitive Intelligence Analyst will work as a member of the firmwide Research & Information Services team and conduct in-depth research and analysis of companies, sectors, practice areas, geographic markets, technologies, and competitors using a comprehensive variety of online research tools. The CI Analyst will develop and communicate insightful and actionable intelligence to aid in strategic decision-making and drive business development, profitability, growth, prospective/client retention and other business opportunities.
The CI function works collaboratively with a wide variety of the firm’s departments to obtain and synthesize internal and external data in to high-impact deliverables. This position reports to the Research & Information Manager and works closely with our existing CI team. The position can be based in any of our west coast and mountain time zone offices and we will also consider candidates who want a hybrid or remote position.
The scope of the research undertaken is varied and challenging, including economics and market sectors, profiles on current and potential clients, competitors and new markets and monitoring key targets or sectors. The CI Analyst will help identify market trends, industry developments, client movements and relevant client news to provide information for client development and attorney teams. The CI Analyst will compile and distill information into various deliverables and provide a written executive summary. This role will also work collaboratively with Business Development, Research & Information Services and other departments to execute the firm’s business and competitive intelligence function. The CI team is developing into a critical resource for the firm and the CI Analyst must be able to work in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate is highly curious and detail oriented and has strong written, analytical and project management skills.
Essential Job Functions
- Under general direction, conduct in-depth research and analysis of key companies, sectors, industries, technologies, market segments, and competitors to uncover key, actionable information and summarize into concise deliverable reports.
- Identify and monitor trends and key clients to aid client development efforts for all practice groups and cross-disciplinary sector teams.
- Stay abreast of trends and technologies in the legal industry.
- Track research requests to demonstrate ROI, firm trends and patterns.
- Perform legal research on an as needed basis as part of the firmwide Research & Information Services team.
Required Experience and Traits
- 2 years minimum in a research-focused role ideally in business intelligence and/or legal research.
- Ability to digest, synthesize and manipulate large sets of data into a clear, concise summary.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Proficiency in MS Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint, and Adobe.
- Basic knowledge of financial datasets and investor reports.
- Ability to follow complex instructions with a high degree of accuracy.
- Flexible, responsive and service-oriented team member.
- Initiative and eagerness to learn.
- Self-starter with the ability to work collaboratively as well as independently.
Desired Experience and Traits
- AmLaw 100, financial services, or professional services firm experience preferred.
- Working knowledge and experience using Internet-based corporate and legal research tools.
- An Interest and aptitude in statistics and business analytics.
- Familiarity with legal concepts, practice areas and terminology preferred, but not essential.
- Experience with regulatory research.
- Experience with European legal and business resources.
Bachelor’s degree or higher; an MLS/MLIS, JD or MBA is preferred but not essential with the right experience. The primary location for this job posting is in Palo Alto, but other locations are also listed. The actual base pay offered will depend upon a variety of factors, including but not limited to the selected candidate’s qualifications, years of relevant experience, level of education, professional certifications and licenses, and work location.
The anticipated pay range for this position is as follows:
San Francisco and Silicon Valley: $76,500 – $103,500 per year
Austin, Boston, Boulder, District of Columbia, Los Angeles, New York, San Diego, Seattle, and Wilmington: $68,850 – $93,150 per year
Salt Lake City and all other locations: $61,200 – $82,800 per year
The compensation for this position may include a discretionary year-end merit bonus based on performance. We offer a highly competitive salary and benefits package.
Benefits information can be found here. Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).Apply Now