Wilson Sonsini is the premier legal advisor to technology, life sciences, and other growth enterprises worldwide. We represent companies at every stage of development, from entrepreneurial start-ups to multibillion-dollar global corporations, as well as the venture firms, private equity firms, and investment banks that finance and advise them. The firm has approximately 1,200 attorneys in 19 offices: 14 in the U.S., three in China, and two in Europe. Our broad spectrum of practices and entrepreneurial spirit allow our staff exceptional opportunities for professional achievement and career growth.
The firm is seeking a Business Development Manager that will be responsible for leading the development and execution of the strategic, marketing and business development plans for the firm’s Capital Markets Group (CMG) within the Corporate Department. Position is ideally based in the San Francisco Bay Area, San Diego, New York, and would consider other locations where WSGR has an office.
The successful candidate will have a wide and deep knowledge base of the U.S. technology and life sciences IPO market; prior experience mentoring junior level business development professionals; significant Big Law business development experience; and a high comfort level working in an entrepreneurial environment.
The role will work directly with the practice groups leaders, manage at least one direct reports, and report to the Director of Business Development for the Corporate Department.
- Develop and execute strategic plans for the firm’s CMG in close collaboration with the practice group, department, and office leaders
- In collaboration with the Director of Business Development for Corporate, work closely with Corporate Department leaders and key partners to drive and support their marketing and business development plans
- Demonstrated ability to manage direct reports
- Maintain a deep understanding of the CMG’s client base, including knowledge of the work being performed
- Oversee deal data collection and league table reporting
- Develop and implement client targeting programs and pursuit teams
- Develop and drive tactics and programs that raise the firm’s internal/external visibility through events, sponsorships, public relations, and social media
- Under the direction of the Director of Business Development for Corporate, identify and support cross-practice, cross-department, and cross-region opportunities and collaborate with attorneys and marketing colleagues to develop and drive marketing and business development plans to exploit those opportunities
- Build and maintain relationships with appropriate organizations and vendors to maximize engagement and business development efforts
- Direct the development of marketing collateral, responses to RFPs and pitches that helps win new business
- Provide business intelligence on markets, clients, prospects, competitors, and individuals
- Advise attorneys in all stages of marketing and business development, from vetting sponsorship opportunities to preparing attorney teams for major business development activities
- Develop regular internal communications highlighting the practice and key deals and trends in the marketplace
- Assist with the preparation of the firm’s IPO and PIPE Reports and other thought leadership pieces
- Disseminate trends as they relate to clients, practice initiatives, and competitors to the wider BD team
- Educate the BD team regarding the CMG’s capabilities and work as well as market trends as appropriate
- Partner with all functional groups in the Marketing Department and other administrative groups to plan and execute the practices’ key initiatives
- Bachelor’s degree required, degrees in marketing, business development or related field is a plus
- 7+ years marketing/client development experience required, with at least 3 of those years in a law firm
- Strong commercial sense and confidence to understand the needs and expectations of attorneys and clients, as well as how the marketing and business development function can facilitate and drive revenue
- Position is for someone who has the skills, experience, and mindset to “own” the strategy, execution, and evaluation of all initiatives
- Keen ability to “connect dots”- draw conclusions, assess implications and make recommendations
- Exceptional verbal and written communication, persuasion, and motivation skills are critical to success as are collegial, collaborative, team player attributes
- Must be a self-starter who thrives on juggling numerous high-visibility projects all on tight deadlines and unflappable under pressure
- Display the strong analytical skills needed for all primary duties of position, including comprehending and communicating data
- Great organizational skills needed to manage time well, prioritize effectively, and handle multiple deadlines
- Well-developed professional interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with people at all organizational levels of the firm
- Ability to travel as needed
The primary location for this job posting is in Palo Alto, but other locations are also listed. The actual base pay offered will depend upon a variety of factors, including but not limited to the selected candidate’s qualifications, years of relevant experience, level of education, professional certifications and licenses, and work location. The anticipated pay range for this position is as follows:
San Francisco and Silicon Valley: $123,250 – $166,750 per year
Austin, Boston, Boulder, District of Columbia, Los Angeles, New York, San Diego, Seattle, and Wilmington: $110,925 – $150,075 per year
Salt Lake City and all other locations: $98,600 – $133,400 per year
The compensation for this position may include a discretionary year-end merit bonus based on performance. We offer a highly competitive salary and benefits package.
Benefits information can be found here. Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).Apply Now